Pentagon Tales * Trasmissioni dal lockdown
Danielle de Picciotto
1. Where are u right now?
I am in Berlin
2. What’s happening in your country/city at the moment?
We have a lockdown in Berlin which is strict but we can still go food shoping and take walks if we keep distance.
Berlins deathrates are low and most people I know that got the virus are ok again.
Are there any restrictions?Are venues/shops/bars opened?
Only food stores and pharmacies
3. Did u have any tour/gig planned before this Thing started?
My whole year was planned with concert tours through Europe and the USA
4. How this situation is reflecting on your everyday life?
Usually when I am not touring i am in my studio so my life has not changed very much but I do miss my friends and being able to meet them.
5. How the Music Community in your country/city is reacting?
The music community is trying to support each other in Berlin – there are a lot of online shows and video podcasts
6. Do u usually have any help from the Government if u’re a musician in your country?Do musicians get money if they tour?
Usually one does not get much help from the governement as a musician unless you apply for it. Then if you are lucky you can get a little bit of support.
7. How the Government reacted?Did they think about the economical loss and disaster the musicians are facing?
Berlin has transfered money top all freelancers so that the city doews not collapse financially which is a great help.
8. What’s the social situation where u live?How people in general are living these days?What’s the percentage of your friends that right now is not working for this reason?
Well I mainly know artists/musicians and none of them can perform or exhibit. My friends that are lawyer or doctors are all still working and a couple of curators I know are working from home.
9. How’s reacting the Society and do u think after this will be over something will change in the everyday life?Do u think people will change anything in their life?
I hope that this situation will make people think more about what life is like today. I personally think our systems do not work anymore and that greedy capitalism is doomed to destroy our earth and mankind. But I am noticing news articles about a new social awarness that must be integrated into politics, in which money does not get hoarded by the rich but shared to all so that the societies can stay healthy. This does not mean communism but a true social democracy. I think this idea is very interesting. I just heard that Spain is planning to incert a basic income for all and think that is a great beginning.
10. Is there anything u would recommend to the people of the music world during these hard times?
Sometimes it is good to be forced to stop and look around and think. To realise what unhealthy patterns we also have as individuals and how each one of us can change our world into a more healthy place. I think that we as artists have the responsibility to do this via music because music touches the soul and can inspire without being moralistic. That is what we should all try to acheive.
11. Is there any book/lp/movie u read/listened/watched recently that u would recommend ?
I just looked at the old movie “Network” it is amazing with Faye Dinaway and Peter Finch. It speaks about exactly what is happening now.